Celebrate the deliciousness of oranges with this easy, tasty recipe for Vegan Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Zest. Perfect for morning tea whenever you can get your hands on delicious juicy oranges.
- 1 cup Original Almond Breeze Almond Milk
- 1 packet dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons Original Almond Breeze Almond Milk
- In a small pot or a microwave safe bowl, warm 1 cup of almond milk to around 37 degrees, which is body temperature. Add the yeast to the warmed milk and let it sit for 10 minutes. The yeast should foam up at the end of 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, melted vegan butter and orange zest to the bowl and stir.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the salt. Add all the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir. Once the dough starts to come together, use your hands to knead the dough for about 5 to 7 minutes, until a smooth ball.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and set it in a warm area for 1 to 1 ½ hours to rise. Once the dough has doubled its size, lightly flour a work surface to roll out the dough. Roll out dough into a 20×14-inch rectangle.
- Melt 5 tablespoons of vegan butter in a bowl. Brush the rolled out dough with about ¾ of the melted butter.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the rolled out dough.
- Working from the longer side of the rectangle, roll up the dough into a log. Set the seam side down. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 pieces, about 1 ¾-inches thick.
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan with vegan butter. Transfer the cinnamon rolls, cut side down onto the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for about 30 to 45 minutes, until it has doubled its size.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. After the second rise, remove the plastic wrap and bake the rolls for about 23 to 27 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
- In a small bowl, make the glaze. Mix 2/3 cup of confectioner’s sugar with 2 ½ tablespoons of almond milk.
- Brush the freshly baked rolls with any remaining melted vegan butter. Then, brush the icing on top.
Courtesy of: Lisa Lin
Prep Time 180 minutes