- 700 grams boneless chicken thighs; washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large sweet onion; diced
- 1 can tomato sauce (225 g)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (400 g); drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can of chopped green chiles (110 g)
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Original Almond Breeze almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Coriander for garnish
- Brown the chicken on the stove (in butter or olive oil) for about 10 minutes, seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken is browning, add the onion, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, tomato paste, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ginger and garlic into the slow cooker.
- Top the slow cooker ingredients with the browned chicken and stir well. Season with salt and pepper before covering.
- Set the slow cooker to cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Before serving, stir in the almond milk and butter, then garnish with chopped coriander.
- Enjoy over rice or sautéed veggies!
- Use a block of your favourite tofu, pressed, drained and cubed.
- Make the sauce on the stovetop by first sautéing the onion, green chiles and garlic in some coconut oil. Season well with salt and pepper. After above 5 minutes, stir in your spices.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes while you bake your tofu cubes at about 180 degrees celsius – season the tofu with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and gently stir into your sauce, along with the Almond Breeze.
- You could also add 1 cup of frozen peas here!
- Garnish with coriander and serve over rice or sautéed veggies.
Prep Time 20-30 minutes; 4-6 hours to cook