Nothing says comfort food quite like Macaroni Cheese and this vegan twist on a recipe fave is sure to please! Recipe created by Almond Breeze Australia
- 2 cups dry macaroni pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- 10 tablespoons of vegan cheese (6 for cooking and 4 for topping)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. For pasta – Fill a ⅔ of a large pot with water and bring to boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and pasta to boiling water and stir regularly. Cook for around 8-9 minutes depending on pasta (taste to test if cooked)
2. For sauce – In a pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and begin to cook the onion until translucent. Add in garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
3. Slowly start to add the flour and whisk to make a paste. Add the Unsweetened Almond Breeze, nutritional yeast, 5 tablespoons of the vegan cheese, salt and pepper and bring to the boil (whisking frequently). Once boiled, reduce heat and let simmer until the sauce thickens.
4. Stir pasta through the sauce and place in oven safe container. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Place under grill until lightly brown.
Take out from under the grill, leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Notes: Try adding spinach or broccoli to your mac and cheese for another take on it! You can cook these additions separately and toss together when combining sauce and pasta!