Nothing says comfort food quite like a pasta bake and this recipe is winter gold! Not only is it super easy to make, it can be vegan and gluten-free plus make use of leftover veges sitting in the fridge.
- 350g gluten free or normal penne pasta, or your preferred pasta)
- 1x 400g tin chopped tomatoes, or fresh if preferred
- 1 courgette
- 1 red or green pepper
- 1 red onion
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan or normal pesto
- 250ml Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 fresh basil leaves if available
- 1 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- 200g grated vegan or other mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. olive or preferred oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Put out a large oven proof dish (at least 27cm x 21cm x 6cm deep).
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, keep 100ml of the pasta water to one side.
- Finely slice the onion and garlic. Chop the red or green pepper and courgette.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and add the sliced onions. Cook until soft. Add the garlic and tomato puree – cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add all the vegetables and sweet smoked paprika – cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly. Once the vegetables have started to soften, tip in the tinned or fresh chopped tomatoes, 100ml of the pasta water, pesto, basil leaves and Unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk. Stir really well.
- Season with a good pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper.
- Cover with the pan lid set slightly ajar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and tip into the large pan with all the sauce. Stir well; then carefully spoon into the ovenproof dish.
- Roughly level the surface and cover with grated mozzarella.
- Place on the middle shelf in the centre of the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve steaming hot.
This dish can be made ahead and kept covered in the fridge. Just leave off the mozzarella and put on before putting in the oven.
Prep Time 25 minutes; 20 minutes to cook