There is never a moment when a creamy vegan mushroom stroganoff is not a good idea. It’s always a good idea! And with mushrooms popping up like, well, mushrooms, there are always plenty to go around to make this perfect plate of comfort food.
- 250ml Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk
- 200g cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tsp. vegan Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- Pinch of salt
- 5 twists of black pepper
- 800g of mixed mushrooms, sliced and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely sliced
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. vegetable stock or 1 vegetable stock cube
- Pinch of salt
- 4 twists of black pepper
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Wild rice to serve.
Make the sauce
- Using the cashew nuts you soaked overnight, drain and rinse them under cold water, tip them into a high powered blender and pour in the Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk then blend until smooth. Add the vegan Worcester sauce, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, salt and black pepper then blend until all the ingredients are combined. Set to one side.
Prepare the mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the finely sliced onions and soften for 5 minutes before adding the garlic, then cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Add half the mushrooms including all the large slices to the frying pan and cook on a high heat for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the stock to 50ml of boiled water and stir, then pour over the mushrooms add the remaining mushrooms and continue to cook for 8 minutes. Add a couple of twists of black pepper.
Add the sauce
- Turn the heat to low and add the stroganoff sauce one ladle at a time, stirring each one in before adding the next. Mix together until the liquid from the mushrooms turns the sauce a soft brown colour and the sauce is warmed through. Remove from the heat and add a pinch of salt and the roughly chopped parsley – stir these through the stroganoff.
Serve with wild rice.
Prep Time 5 minutes; 20 minutes to make