This vegan twist on this popular British dessert created by East Sussex man Nigel Mackenzie is guaranteed to be a new family fave. A nutty wheat free chocolate base filled with delightful layers of refined sugar free caramel, bananas and topped with a whipped vanilla coconut cream. What’s not to love? Recipe created by Clean Supper Club.
For the base
- 180g walnuts
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 180g fine ground oatmeal
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 25g cacao powder
- 90g coconut oil
- 30ml maple syrup
- Caramel sauce
- 200ml Original Almond Breeze Almond Milk
- 335g dates
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 dessert spoon date syrup
- 500ml (2 x 250ml cartons) of coconut cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 medium sized bananas, sliced
- 50g dark/vegan chocolate
- Heat the oven to 150°C
- Grease the loose-bottomed flan tray with coconut oil and line the base with baking paper.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread the walnuts and sunflower seeds evenly across the paper. Place in the oven on the middle shelf for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Make the base
- In a small pan gently melt the coconut oil – set to one side to cool.
- Put the nuts in a food processor and pulse until they form a crumb. Then add the fine ground oatmeal, maple syrup, desiccated coconut, cacao powder and coconut oil. Pulse until combined and mixture binds together.
- Then carefully tip the base mixture into the flan tray and using the back of a dessertspoon gently press the mix evenly across the base and up the sides of the tray. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Make the dairy-free caramel sauce
- Put the dates in the food processor and pulse until smooth, then scoop the dates into a medium pan with the Original Almond Breeze®, tahini, vanilla extract and date syrup.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and stir for 10 minutes until the dates are combined with the Blue Diamond Original Almond Breeze® and the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Use a spatula to evenly spread the caramel sauce over the base then return the base to the fridge to set for 20 minutes.
Make the creamy topping
- Spoon the coconut cream into a bowl and whisk together with the vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- Remove the base from the fridge and place a layer of sliced bananas on top of the caramel. Then spoon the coconut cream over the bananas, use the back of a spoon to gently smooth the cream over all the bananas. Return to the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Finely slice the chocolate.
- Remove the pie from the fridge and place a large handful of sliced banana pieces in the centre; then sprinkle with finely sliced chocolate. Slice and serve.
Store in an airtight container and place in the fridge. Eat within 2 days.
Prep Time 1 hour 25 minutes