This delectable butternut pumpkin and kumara soup is what autumn and winter are all about. Slippers on, curtains pulled and the smell of warming soup filling the house. This is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, perfect for busy Saturday lunch after the kids’ sport, or chilled Sunday night in front of a movie. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Original or Unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 medium butternut pumpkins, peeled and cubed (5-6 cups)
- 2 medium kumara, peeled and cubed (1 cup)
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
Croutons: (PS. Your choice of bread may not be lactose free)
- Baguette or ciabatta broken or cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil per 1 cup bread cubes
- Salt and ground pepper
- Optional Seasoning: Garlic powder, onion powder, fresh herbs (thyme or rosemary), dried basil or Italian seasoning
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent (7-10 minutes).
- Add in the cubed butternut pumpkin, kumara, apple, vegetable stock, cinnamon, curry powder, ginger and nutmeg.
- Gently stir.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, cover, and cook for 25-35 minutes or until veggies are fork-tender.
- Turn off the heat.
- Using a blender, begin to purée the soup, adding in the Almond Breeze Almond Milk and sea salt after a few minutes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or coriander and serve hot.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Tear or cut the bread into small pieces.
- Place in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper and optional seasoning.
- Toss the bread evenly to coat.
- Arrange bread mixture in a single layer on the prepared tray.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Cool on tray.
Prep Time 35 minutes