Ella Williams is one talented Kiwi. The 24-year-old pro surfer from Whangamata currently ranks number 40 in the world from around 400 female surfers. As she sets off into the next on the World Qualifying Series, as our newest Almond Breeze New Zealand Ambassador, we’re excited to follower her adventures!
Ella comes from an avid family of surfers, including her mum Janine, dad Deano and brother Braedon, and first hit the waves at aged 4, taught by her parents. Thanks to their shared passion, the family moved from their Hamilton and Raglan home when Ella was 7 years old and to Coromandel where they bought the Whangamata Surf Shop, and they have “never looked back!” says Ella.
Thanks to their support, Ella can compete on the world stage with her parents accompanying her while her brother manages the shop. Ella, who’s even traversed rivers full of crocodiles (with her parents) to reach epic waves, says her family is her “rock”. Ella set her sights on becoming a world champ surfer when she was 6 years old, holding on to her mantra #ImagineDreamBelieve, so we thought who better that to inspire others as our next ambassador?!
Ella became vegan two years ago, swapping out dairy milk for Almond Breeze almond milk and she tells us below how she lives her life while maintaining health and happiness along the way.
View this post on Instagram
Super excited to announce I am the latest @almondbreezenz Ambassador 🌱 I love everything Almond Breeze – Almond Milk represents. They are all about living a healthy and active lifestyle while fuelling your body with all the plant based goodness 🌱🥛SUPER EXCITED! #breezetheday #pouringthelove
1. You’re about to depart on the WQS, where will you be surfing over how many months, and what do you hope to achieve in this exciting adventure?
Yes! So I’m about to head off to the States, Europe, and Japan. I’m super excited! The first stop is in the States in California. I’m competing in Oceanside and Huntington Beach, UK, France, Spain and, to finish it off, in Japan where I will be representing New Zealand For the International Surfing Association (ISA) Worlds and I could qualify for the 2020 Olympics there. I’m away for a month and a half. I hope to achieve some great moments and enjoy the ride while I am there. Take it all as it comes and gets some wins in!
2. How does being vegan fuel your lifestyle?
Being a Vegan has changed my life for the better. I never knew the power of plants! It is truly incredible what they can do. I’m a firm believer of letting the food be the medicine and we don’t need meat or dairy to live. The world is becoming so much more aware of this now. I think it is a total game-changer. My life has been amazing since going vegan I don’t miss meat or dairy, and am happy, healthy and thriving!
3. You probably have loads of lifestyle tips that make you triumph like a BOSS, but what are your own personal top THREE foolproof ways to live your best life that are a bit outside the box?
- Surround yourself with happy uplifting people. people that bring value into your life that love and support you no matter what. You don’t have to have the biggest long list of friends you just need a few quality good people and they give you all of the love and support you could ever want or need. quality over. Quantity.
- Live every day to the FULLEST! Life is to short not to. Go after what you want in your life and enjoy the ride while doing it. We are so lucky to be living and breathing on this earth. Lets not take that for granted. Take any opportunity that comes your way because it could open so many doors.
- DREAM BIG! Your body achieves what the mind believes. Everything I have ever wanted to achieve in my life I always visualized it happening and it has all come true. Never underestimate the power of the mind.
4. Why did you choose to partner with Almond Breeze New Zealand, and has it been easy to integrate Almond Breeze almond milk varieties into your diet?
BECAUSE I LOVE IT!!! I have been a huge fan on Almond Breeze almond milk since becoming vegan two years ago. It is plant-based and I have it every morning in my smoothies, pre and post surf smoothie bowls, not to mention in my coffees. So every day in my life, it is a huge part of my daily life. I am very thrilled to be the newest ambassador for Almond Breeze New Zealand, its values align well with mine. It’s a perfect fit.
5. What are you MOST excited about for the rest of 2019?
Enjoying this amazing journey that I’m on with the special people around me. Taking the opportunity that comes my way, trying new things, going to new places and living every day as the blessing that it is.
6. Do you have any lessons you learned from 2018 to share with us?
A big one for me was to really be in the moment more. I constantly found myself on my phone not actually being in the moment with the great people around me. So for me, it was to keep my bucket filled with things and people that bring me joy and happiness and less time scrolling. Another huge one was persistence. I had a tricky 2018 surf season, but I knew I could get some wins. I kept on. Training and working on my surfing and competitions and at the start of 2019 first comp of the year I got a win! Just goes to show its not over until its over!
7. Is it easy maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle when you’re travelling the globe on the surfing circuit?
When I first started it was really tricky. I was constantly trying different things to see what does and doesn’t work. It can also be hard when I’m traveling and I don’t have a kitchen so have to make do with the bed or suitcase as a table. You learn to adjust and learn what works best in different countries. I’ve been doing it for a few years now so I’m getting more travel savvy.
8. What’s your no. 1 fave Almond Breeze almond milk flavour and why?
I love the Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk. Its my all-time fave and every day go to. I love it. In everything its a great all-rounder.
9. What would you say to young women aiming for BIG things in life?
There is no dream is too small. Don’t let anyone tell you can’t do anything. Because you can. Your imagination is your strength. Don’t give up. If you want something bad enough you CAN achieve it. Mind over matter 🙂
10. Do you have a fave smoothie recipe that you can share with us?
YES!!! My morning every day smoothies are usually very green they look a little something like this….
My fave green smoothie:
- 1 Banana
- 1 Cup Celery
- 1 Orange
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- chia seeds
Blend, pour and enjoy!
My fave choc peanut butter smoothie:
On a yummier note… this one is my favourite for pre and post-surf fuel!
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- 2 Bananas
- 2 tbsp Peanut butter 😉
- 1 tbsp Raw cacao powder
- Optional: 2 Dates for sweetness (and fibre!)
This goes down a treat! 😋
From our love of Almond Breeze almond milk to yours…
Discover more almondlicious recipes by clicking here!